Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Five Years On


We're still regularly "Forest Bathing."
Today marks 5 years since my bone marrow transplant – cancer free for 5 years.  Wow!  I’m so thankful.  In some ways, it feels like a short time ago.  I remember well how shocked and helpless I felt, suddenly and utterly dependent on others.  I marvel at the top-flight medical care the team at Johns Hopkins provided, and how most people in the world don’t have access to such care.  I smile when I think of my brothers fighting over who would be my donor, countless prayer warriors surrounding me, and family, friends and neighbors supporting my family in myriad ways.

2012 was incredibly draining, but also incredibly reassuring, soaking up the​ ​sacrificial love of so many around us.  What an amazing demonstration of humanity at our best.  And out of it all I emerged, a bit weathered physically but remade – AJ 2.0!  Not only a new lease on life but a new perspective on life – and what really matters.  I think back on 2012 a lot and, though I wouldn’t wish it on anyone else, I give thanks for how it shaped me . . . and taught me to cherish and pour into my marriage, my family, and my friends.  Deep down, I want to love back for all the love received.

Life post-2012 hasn’t been a walk in the park, mind you.  AJ 2.0 came with some baggage, you might say.  I’ve battled chronic congestion and one year out, my tear ducts clogged up and never reopened (next week I’ll have surgery to replace them).  And the next year, I was diagnosed with a deficient immune system, one that can’t produce antibodies to fight off infections.  While the tear ducts may be replaceable, there appears to be no way to fix my immunodeficiency. 

Instead, I get infused every week with immunoglobulin to keep my counts within the normal range, and I can’t travel to much of the world, including most of Africa where I have lived and focused professionally for decades.  The weekly infusion is administered at home, pumped into my body through two tubes.  I sense that it’s God’s way of reminding me of my human imperfections, my selfish tendencies that get in the way of life as it should be.  I suppose I could feel sorry for myself but I don’t – not a chance!  Once again, I’m among the privileged few with access to this life-giving treatment. 

So, onward!  Each day, I try to remind myself of how grateful I am to be alive and kicking, to have such a beautiful family, good friends, and generous community – and meaningful work to do, with so many other​s​ who care about human dignity and social justice.  Christine could tell you how I used to be a long-range planner – what are our goals this year, over the next 5 years, etc.  I don’t do much of that any more.  I try to live in the moment, savoring what each day brings and, even when they’re full of frustrations – on ​I-​495, at work, on the tennis court – I count myself blessed.  Connected.  Loved.  Life is good!  Thanks for being a part of it. - Andrew

No comments:

Post a Comment